Monday, August 4, 2008

54 Days

until the Quad City Marathon....(gulp)

Will I be ready?

Not likely.

Am I still wanting to do this?

Not really. A Half-Marathon is easier! (And shorter, duh) The training is brutal and time consuming.

Why bother then?

Because I have always wanted to accomplish something I viewed as impossible. I want to cross off an impossible feat off of my "Things To Do Before I Die" list.

What else is on that list?

Not much anymore! I've erased most of the more adventurous, dangerous, expensive, and exciting things, and have replaced them with more noble things.

Formerly on The List:

1. Parachute or skydive
2. Deep sea dive
3. Drive a race car 200 mph or faster
4. Speed ski (downhill) - been there, done that

My more noble items:
1. Show more and more respect and love to my wonderful husband
2. Raise respectful, self-controlled, God-honoring children
3. Make it my ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind my own business, and to work with my hands
4. Replace my selfish tendencies with thoughts & actions towards others


So, there may be a few more adventures still on the original List. Like I haven't erased my desire to travel the world. It's just sort of on hold during this phase of life. And I haven't erased my desire to explore my artistic gifts in art & design. Again, on hold. Besides continuing to build a stronger marriage day by day, this season of life is dedicated to four little creatures entrusted to me and Dan. They're a huge responsibility and I consider it such an honor to be their guide through these short years.

So...54 days. More training to get in. More thoughts creeping around my brain. May I run steady like the Tortoise.

No comments: