Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Saturday's 5K Run Postponed!


Workers from Muscatine Public Works Department put up the flood gate Monday afternoon on East Sec-ond Street in Muscatine. The rising Mississippi River causes Mad Creek to also over flow its banks.
The HNI 5K Run that I was supposed to run this coming Saturday has been postponed due to the flooding of the Mississippi River. As you can see, the water is rising and the floodgates are going up, but I really don't know how good they'll do, as the water is already on Mississippi Drive and heading towards 2nd Street.
The floodgates remind me of a verse we are memorizing in school: Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
Our discussion around the table included answering what is a tithe anyway? We (the kids mainly - they're so smart!) came to the conclusion that God really wants our obedience. A tithe can be the money we're entrusted with, but it's beyond that - giving Him your best in everything you do. Look at the promise He gives if we just test Him in that principle. The floodgates reminded me of that promise...what does that look like, for the floodgates of heaven to open?

No comments: