Saturday, May 3, 2008

Meaningless - Meaningful?

I haven't been inspired to write for a few days now. I guess I have Blogger's Block, formerly known as Writer's Block.

I was thinking about writing about the weather! That's how uninspired I have been. Take today, for example. It was blizzard-like this morning at Brooke's soccer game, minus the snow. We were freezing. Now, as I write, it's nearly 70 degrees out, sunny, with a nice breeze. How bizzare.

I think my "funk" started a few days ago when I was thinking about the mundaness (is that a word?) of life...at least the mundane tasks I have set before me. I wouldn't trade them, mind you, for a real job with a real paycheck, but nevertheless, it was seeming to me that my tasks were quite meaningless.

Take laundry, for example. There are still divorced socks from months ago waiting for a suitable mate in a pile on my dryer. And just when I have the last load folded and put away, here come the clothes from today. Or the pajamas from last night. Or the towels from the showers. Or the burp rags from the baby. Or the... See what I mean?

I could go on with the list of mundane tasks, like cleaning, cooking, running, even schooling. But I won't. Because I've come to the same conclusion as a wise king who wrote several books many centuries ago: What's it all matter? Everything really is quite meaningless. Generations before us aren't really all that different from the generations to come. But in the end, to be content with the job that lies before us is all we can ask for. And, really, I am content. Are you? Sure, I think sometimes "Is this all there is?" And it possibly is. So, why not just enjoy it?! Another great philosopher of our day - I think Bob Marley - said it best, "Don't worry. Be happy."

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

No comments: